Trump is little different from a mob boss impersonating a president.
I remember when conservative, Republican values were to love the Founders, the U.S. Constitution, the United States of America…to fear Russia, dictatorships, people abusing public office for their own gain…but here, I see the far right loving this criminal, Trump, instead.
- He does not follow my beloved Constitution; he looks for ways to avoid it.
- He’s a multiple felon who knows that when he is no longer President, he may well face investigations and charges for things that could send him to prison.
- Many of his associates have been put in prison or face charges, already, even though Trump’s friend is Attorney General.
- He loves Russia and North Korea. Really: Think about that. He has twisted things so far that he’s got America holding hands with such places, and he has been impeached for related things.
- He does not love all Americans; he is a white supremacist, racist.
- Remember when he used to brag about his ability to grab women’s crotches against their will? And there are others. That is sexual assault.
- He thrives on bombast and lies.
Lack of awareness of these things does not remove them.
The founders of the U.S. Constitution were from an era of human government that was largely about an individual who gained power and ran things to suit him or herself. The problems with that should be obvious: It’s too easy for someone to make decisions that benefit himself and not the country.
That’s where you get the self-serving, even cruel methods and goals of a dictatorship. For Republicans who don’t want to hear that, let me repeat: a fascist-type government leads to such things as imprisoning citizens without cause, manipulating to keep corruption in power, even such things as murder or genocide. If you’re comfortable thinking I’m exaggerating, then you don’t want to read on.
Trump doesn’t follow the Constitution. He plays countries for his own benefit. He violates the three co-equal branches of government by such as disregarding Congress’ Power of the Purse, he violates Constitutional emoluments clauses (using his office to benefit himself)—and someone making billions in insider trading with the most remarkable timing with Trump tweets is stunning—he thwarts Congress’ power of oversight and subpoena…even makes the most appalling decisions that get people killed and thwarts the efforts of our military, such as his recent screw-up in Syria…he even seems to be trying to benefit Putin in his plans for Russia. He does love to help Russia.
Even the 2016 Republican Senate, when refusing to do its job and allow a new USSC justice, because they didn’t want Obama to pick one, allowed Trump to stack the U.S. Supreme Court with two, so now Trump feels invulnerable—exactly the wrong thing to do for America.
I’m stunned when people connect with his anger and bigotry.
THE IMPORTANCE OF FOLLOWING THE CONSTITUTION:
We may at any time like or not like what a President does, but we must bend to the Constitution and follow it. Because if we do not— It’s not just about whether we like this or that policy, now, but the precedents set. If we allow the Constitution to be broken, if we say it’s okay because…then we set precedent that it’s okay for future presidents to do that, as well, and that defeats the protections of the 3 co-equal branches of government.
It’s not supposed to be about slamming our preferences home to whackos who don’t agree, but about how we can struggle together, in an ongoing manner, to find paths that benefit Americans as a whole. All of us. Regardless of our views, religions, sexualities, political parties.
If we lose that, we lose Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Lincoln and the soul of our humanity.
Think when you vote.